Thursday, May 23, 2013

The bitter taste of furlough...

Confirmation came last week that my office, along with quite a few thousand other DOD employees, will take 11 furlough days, 1 day a week, starting July 8th. That's a 20% pay cut for 3 months... during the time of year when outdoor concerts, happy hours, road trips, weddings, and long anticipated vacations require additional funds, not less.

With this rather unsettling, but not altogether surprising news (as if Congress and Obama were going to spontaneously get their act together and protect those hard working, middle class citizens that have done NOTHING to deserve this fate... HA!), I've found myself rather bitter about my decision to leave my job in WW, a job that I was DAMN good at, with an awesome boss and an office that is NOT getting furloughed, all for the opportunity to do something and live somewhere different.

Yeah. Genius move on my part.

But the more accepting I become of this situation, the more I'm actually looking forward to the silver lining of 4-day weekends and the occasional mid-week day off. More time to focus on my health and fitness or do fun painting projects I've been wanting to do for months. More time to read the foot-tall stack of books on my nightstand or go exploring the many parks in the city with the Bandido.

OR more time to focus on my skinny wrap business so I won't have to worry or even think about the 20% pay cut. :-)


But until I can guarantee that my shopaholic syndrome and fear of missing out won't completely cripple my finances come July, or that my wrap business will be able to bridge the gap between stingy and comfortable, I'll be preparing for the worst, cutting coupons and socking away every extra penny I have to help cushion the blow.

Who knows - maybe this is all just a big show of political bravado and all my contingiency plans and worries will be for nothing.
But probably not.

No comments: