Monday, December 30, 2013

Street lights blink a bright red and green...

For the past 4 or 5 years my sister, mom, and I have done a "Jewish Christmas" of sorts. We of course do the usual bacon and eggs breakfast with my nephew, but then after he leaves with his Dad, we go see a movie and do Chinese for dinner (and then I head over to my best friend's house for more celebration and even more food!) As much as I wish we had a big, crazy family with obnoxious relatives and traditions, I really like the low-key, no stress tradition we've started. And since it's just the three of us, it really suits us just fine.
 
We saw The Secret Life of Walter Mitty this year in the most ghetto theater ever. No joke. I was afraid of contracting an STD from the seat (I wish I'd had a black light), but the movie was really cute, and surprisingly inspiring.
 
My family doesn't really exchange gifts anymore either, although it's been difficult to get everyone (namely mom) out of the guilt-driven habit. Don't get me wrong, I love getting and giving gifts - there's a wonderful satisfaction that comes from giving the perfect gift - but the obligatory gift giving tradition of I-got-so-and-so-something-so-now-I-have-to-get-these-six-other-people-something-too and the you-got-me-something-so-now-I-have-to-get-you-something kind of takes all the joy out of it. The gifts I like to give are the random and spontaneously found OMG-this-would-be-perfect-for-so-and-so! gifts. And besides, I'd much rather go out and DO something fun and make memories with those people than give and get more stuff that, although we may love, neither of us really has room for...
 
Although there are exceptions to this rule.
 
Like an awesome Seahawks jersey. :-)
(Thanks Leland!!)
 
 


No comments: